Other land was added to the camp so that it now encompasses 260 acres along the west bank of the Arroyo Colorado with 12 large, scenic campsites.
It has been continuously operated as a Boy Scout Camp longer than any other such camp in Texas.
The great hurricane of 1933 did some damage to the camp, and Hurricane Beulah in 1967 almost totally destroyed the camp buildings. Most of the camp structures were rebuilt after Beulah.
Kesley-Carr provided the rifle range in 1950. It survived the great hurricane.
W. T. Liston, who owned a cement pipe manufactoring company, provided a considerable amount of infrastructure at camp. He built the first swimming pool, the bowl, a small ampitheatre which serves for our outdoor meetings and evening skits. Recently a chapel was built replacing one which was destroyed by the hurricane years ago, provided by the next generation of Listons.
In the summer of 1950 there was a polio scare and the Camp Perry property was closed for the summer. Operationally the camp was moved to Redfish Bay which was later to become Port Mansfield, some 15 miles north of Camp Perry and directly on the Laguna Madre.
Rangers at Camp
Robert L. Lyon was Camp Director – Summer 1930
James E. Nolan (died 1952) was a -custodian of Camp Perry-
Rangers who have lived at the camp include -
Ted Luten was Camp Ranger from as early as 1948 until 1956
Buddy Johnson was Camp Ranger – 1956 - 1983
Pete Langan was Camp Ranger – December 1983 to 2010
Jose Dacasa is currently Camp Ranger - 2010 - current
Camp Perry is owned and operated by the
Rio Grande Council, BSA
6912 W. Expressway 83
Harlingen, TX 78552
Telephone = (956) 423-0250
Camp Perry History Index page.
Camp Perry History Longer version.
Historical Pictures of Camp Perry
Camp Perry Maps
Return to Camp Perry Home page.
page created 17 Oct. 2008 - page updated 1 June 2011